Life with the Oldfields

Friday, May 04, 2007

The Spidey is back

So Spider-Man 3 opened in the UK today and I convinced Jeff that we should spend our Friday evening watching a well-anticipated movie such as this. Now I don't know what most people expect going into a Spider-Man movie, or any comic book based film for that matter, but apparently my expectations were quite different from the undergraduate population who were exiting the theater with us. They didn't like the movie at all. Shall I explain why their opinion is wrong? Why, thank you; I think I will. First, let's take a walk down Spider-Man lane, shall we? Were either of the first two Spider-Man movies brilliant blockbusters? No. Did they contain exceptionally amazing acting skills? No. So why the flip do people expect that the third time around will be any different? Now, I went into this movie expecting there to be good action sequences, comic moments, and some rough acting... and that's EXACTLY what I got. Personally, I thought the movie was great... it had all the things that I know and love about Spider-Man movies. Did I feel just a wee bit bad about joining in with the audience laughter when Tobey Maguire made a poor attempt at emotional acting? Well, yes, I did feel a little bit bad... but come on... it's what we should've expected, right? Honestly, the bad acting made the film that much more enjoyable for me. By the way, if you haven't seen it yet, there's a couple of comic moments to keep an eye out for... 1) Harry's facial expression when he gets his memory back and is listening to his dead dad and 2) Eddie's brilliant reaction when Spider-Man takes away his camera. These little tidbits are sooo easy to appreciate in a packed movie theater full of college students who have had a bit to drink... everyone laughs at random moments. Jeff's main problem with the movie was that you just don't know if you're laughing at parts that the director intended to be funny or if you're actually laughing at what he intended to be a serious moment. Personally, I think that is the movie's strength... you can laugh at it as well as with it. It's great!

5 Comments:

  • At 4:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    LOL, yes it was a good movie, but shy from great. Two things structuarly wrong with the movie....harry helping spidey at the end....and the strongest enemy of spiderman...falling in 10 minutes. This two things should never have happened. according to the comic book. as far as the rest of the movie goes...it was one of the cheesiest movies i've ever seen released. i would go further into ripping apart spidey 3, but i must sleep now. I will give you that it was a great movie...great for the ignorant.

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Meigan said…

    Oh no you didn't just start analyzing the comic book characters...Chad, you're a nerd. :-)

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, I haven't seen Spidey 3 yet, but am excited to do so after having stayed up til 2:00 A.M. watching Spidey 2 last night (with Rickey after he got back from MN late last night), which I hadn't seen yet, and thought it was pretty darn good, cuz, like you said Meig, you can laugh with it and at it at the same time! Just too much fun... :)

     
  • At 4:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am a nerd, and like everyone that say it opening night. This is why the majority of people were dissapointed with the movie.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Meigan said…

    No, Chad... other people may have been dissapointed with the movie, but I refuse to believe that all the other people are comic books nerds like you. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home