Life with the Oldfields

Monday, March 19, 2007

St Mary's Ball

So I am WAY behind on blogging about the uber exciting ball we had the Saturday before last. Really I've been waiting on Jeff to download the pics so I guess it's not really my fault. :-) Every year St Mary's (the divinity school in St Andrews) puts on a ball. Now a ball in Scottish terms has absolutely nothing to do with ballroom dancing. In fact, it's a proper ceilidh (see post entitled "Scottish Country Dancing is actually cool") but with really nice clothes. In fact Jeff wore a kilt this year. He was sporting the St Andrews saltire which included the St Andrews cross right across his backside. He was getting a bit self-conscious about everyone asking him to turn around so they could take a picture of him. I told him it was just because his butt looked soo great. :-) Who knew that a man in a skirt could actually be that sexy!?! He was soo sexy in fact that when we went to a local bar after the ball, a girl who'd had a few too many kept trying to look up Jeff's kilt. He was absolutely oblivious, and I could do nothing but laugh hysterically! In fact I'm still laughing just thinking about it. :-) Anyway, back to the ball... we had a great time doing all the dances. This time we felt a bit more confident since we'd only just been to another ceilidh a few weeks before. Sometimes we all got a bit too crazy and I suffered injuries... I'd been stepped on numerous times by the 5 inch heals of a friend's shoes, and I was constantly tripping over my skirt; it was a good thing I always had a partner holding on to me to keep me upright. Ah, it was good fun... injuries and all. :-) I also had a great time teaching the dances to some of our other American friends who had never been to a ceilidh before. I can't quite figure out why I look wasted in this picture when I was explaining a dance to Marietta. :-) After the ceilidh part of the evening we had a disco which is basically the British term for dancing to popular music. I couldn't wait for Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like A Woman." They play it every year and we always start the electric slide. I was very disappointed this year because out of the many Americans at the ball only 5 of us actually did any line dancing. Some people's kids! I really enjoyed teasing Jeff when he got up to join us. I pointed out how appropriate it was for him to be dancing to "Man, I Feel Like A Woman" on the first night of wearing a skirt. :-) This picture shows some of the American clan as well as Kathleen, our token postgrad divinity Scot on the right. You can also see that Allison and I are pretty close friends. :-) We had a blast that night! You can see more pictures from this crazy event by going to our picture site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home