Life with the Oldfields

Friday, January 12, 2007

Back to life

Well, I've successfully made it through the first week back to work. Actually, the first week of the term went fairly well. We've got a new headteacher and he seems pretty cool....I'm really looking forward to sharing all my thoughts on how to better tackle some of the behavior problems of the kids I work with. The school's behavior policy has basically been non-existent so I'm seeing this as an opportunity for change. :)

I hear that it's actually snowing in Riverside....words cannot express how jipped I feel. We've had absolutely no snow this year here in Scotland. In fact, it hasn't even been that cold and the wind....oh my gosh, the wind. It has been absolutely insane....I'm talking knock you over, push your car off the road - wind!
The bridge into Dundee, where I work, gets closed when the wind is really bad. Usually they just close the bridge to semi-trucks and motorcycles, but Tuesday morning the wind was soo bad that they closed the bridge off to all traffic. So I get to go back home and not go into work, right? NOPE! I had to drive an extra hour and a half, the long way down the river into Perth and around into Dundee. Just for some perspective, check out the map. On the right side is the bridge that goes north over the river into Dundee. I had to drive all the way to the left until the river ended and then all the way back to the right once I was on the north side of the river. Do you see it? It took almost an entire tank of gas. So I've been phoning the bridge control throughout the day every day since that fateful morning dreading that the bridge will be closed again. So far all's been well. I just can't wait until this wind leaves....I want normal winter weather! I WANT SOME SNOW, DANGIT!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, who told you it is snowing in Riverside?! NOT!!!! Although, we have had several days of extreme windiness since Christmas also, but I don't think it's been quite as bad as it sounds like it's been there. Yeah, that looks like an awful long river to have to drive AROUND, rather than over. I'm sooo sorry kiddo. I hope you get your snow, but... not so much
    IT endangers your driving as well. Maybe just enough to put a thin blanket on the ground, and just over the weekend. (Sorry, that's the anxious mum in me coming out:).

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Meigan said…

    It has been confirmed by both Rochelle and Debbie that snow has touched ground in Riverside.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I found out later that day that there were a couple of areas in Riverside (not anywhere near us for me to know about it) that actually did get a little snow, and it was certainly cold enough for it. So, I stand corrected.:)
    In fact, that night I had to attend, and sing at, a wedding at CBU OUTSIDE! Thank God they thought to get some heat lamps brought in at the last minute.:)

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I found out later that day that there were a couple of areas in Riverside (not anywhere near us for me to know about it) that actually did get a little snow, and it was certainly cold enough for it. So, I stand corrected.:)
    In fact, that night I had to attend, and sing at, a wedding at CBU OUTSIDE! Thank God they thought to get some heat lamps brought in at the last minute.:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home