Life with the Oldfields

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Three times in one day

I wonder what might be going through your mind right now as you read the title of this post. Of course, I'm referring to going to three church services last Sunday, what else? :-) Our Sunday started off with a bang as Jeff and I helped lead the music at the Baptist church's morning service. It really was a great time of worship with a full band...piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, vocals... During communion, I got to sing a fantastic song called "The power of the cross" written by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend. When I was last home my mom bought me the CD of Keith Getty's songs and it has a beautiful version of "The Power of the cross" sung by his wife, Kristyn. Mom do you remember me playing it over and over again on our way up north? Anyway, it is a fantastic song that really defines the amazing power of the cross. The words are brilliant:

OH, TO SEE THE DAWN
Of the darkest day:
Christ on the road to Calvary.
Tried by sinful men,
Torn and beaten, then
Nailed to a cross of wood.

This, the power of the cross:
Christ became sin for us.
Took the blame, bore the wrath -
We stand forgiven at the cross.

Oh, to see the pain
Written on Your face,
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Every bitter thought,
Every evil deed
Crowning Your bloodstained brow.

Now the daylight flees,
Now the ground beneath
Quakes as its Maker bows His head.
Curtain torn in two,
Dead are raised to life;
‘Finished!’ the victory cry.

Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death,
Life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.

(Final chorus)
This, the power of the cross:
Son of God - slain for us.
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross.

Keith Getty & Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2005 Thankyou Music

I could probably write a whole post about how powerful the cross of Christ is, but I might just convince Jeff to do that on his theology blog... he needs something to write about... he's been pretty blog-lazy. So moving on, in the evening we then attended the ecumenical service at Saint Salvator's chapel before heading over to Pizza Express for dinner. Jeff then decided that sleep was the only option left for him; I however was keen to go to the late service at Holy Trinity to see our friends lead the music. So off to bed Jeff went and off to Holy Trinity I went... actually Pizza Express is right next to Holy Trinity so I didn't have to go far. I do believe that last Sunday was my first and only experience of attending three different church services in one day, and I've got to say that a day full of worship with other believers is awesome!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger The Egan Family said…

    Meigan, I am so glad you did that song! I love their music. They did a couple evenings of worship at our church back home, and they were fabulous. :-)

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Mum :) said…

    Yes sweetie, I do remember you playing that CD over and over again on our trip up north, and I really need to buy one for myself because I loved it just as much as you. The words to "Oh, To See The Dawn" are awesomely beautiful, just as our Savior and His love for us is, and I soooooooooo wish I could have heard you sing it at the church service. I also second your statement that a day full of worship of our precious Lord Jesus with our brothers and sisters in Him is totally awesome. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home